The State of Reaction Commerce, 2017
A couple months ago, we celebrated Year 4 of Reaction Commerce. It’s always been a fun, enlightening exercise for me to step back and reflect on the year, and since we’re nearing the end of 2017, I wanted to take a moment to share some of my thoughts. In short, it’s been quite a year!
Here are a few of our milestone achievements:
- In March, we launched our v1.0.0 general availability, as well as a brand new website, which we debuted at Shoptalk 2017.
- The Reaction Commerce team grew by over 40% to 18 total, with new teammates joining us in Santa Monica and around the world from cities like the San Francisco Bay Area, Colorado, Lagos, Nairobi, Berlin, and soon, Bangalore. And guess what? We’re still growing. Check out our careers page to learn more about our open positions.
- We announced our $8.5M Series A financing led by GV!
- We released v1.5.0, and along with it, our most requested feature: multi-shop marketplace. With over 1,600 commits, it was our biggest release ever.
- We hosted 7 Reaction Actions, 8 community calls, and 2 in-person Meetups. We even saw our very first community-run meetups come to life. Shoutout to Argentina and Paris! PS: If you’re interested in starting a Reaction meetup in your city, please get in touch. We’re here to help.
- We more than doubled our open source community. In fact, our GitHub repo now has over 6,100 stars, making us the fastest-growing open commerce community ever!
One of the things I’ll remember the most this year is how the team worked together to update Reaction Commerce’s mission and vision statements. It’s now a yearly tradition for us to review and discuss mission and vision at our annual, in-person all-hands. It is truly something I look forward to facilitating each and every time.
Our updated mission is what keeps us on the same page in the near-term. It answers the “how” and the “why” for us:
We’re creating the leading open commerce platform by building the best experiences for developers and retailers, and by inspiring a passionate community, so that merchants worldwide can compete.
Our new vision may be a moon shot, but it feels right:
To connect and democratize the world through open commerce.
And hey, if we aren’t trying to do something big, then why bother at all?
Going into 2018, we’re looking forward to growing our team and community. We’ll have more to share about our 2018 priorities and plans in the new year, but here are just a few brief highlights:
- On the product development side, we’re focusing on performance in the first half of the year. Expect faster initial loads, snappier page loads in general, and a full conversion from Blaze to React.
- Feature-wise, we’re introducing plenty of new core capabilities. Keep your eyes peeled for bulk product management, content management, actionable analytics, and more.
- We’re improving the overall user experience for Reaction Platform, our managed platform-as-a-service. It’ll be easier than ever for retailers and brands to deploy and scale their online stores and marketplaces on our end-to-end system.
- For our growing community, we’ll be providing new developer plugins, themes, and overall support. We’re looking forward to producing more tutorial videos, expanding our docs, and defining our style guide.
- We’ll continue to host Reaction Actions and community calls, but on the marketing side of the house, we’ll be launching a new live event and conversation series around the future of commerce. Our team will be taking these events on the road, so be on the lookout for more on this in the new year.
I’m insanely proud of our accomplishments in 2017. Our global, open source community is a continual delight. Knowing that people around the world are connecting and thriving because of what we’re building together—that makes it all worth it.
Thanks again for the continued support and enthusiasm.
Here’s to 2018!